The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requires every company associated with the handling of protected health information (PHI) to follow set standards and regulations for safeguarding sensitive patient data. While all HIPAA-covered entities and business associates (BAs) are subject to the HIPAA privacy, security and breach notification rules, not all entities have done all that’s necessary to comply. Are you among them?
If you aren’t in compliance with the HIPAA rules and you have a privacy or security incident affecting protected health information (PHI), your organization can face serious penalties. In this session, expert speaker Jim Sheldon-Dean gives you the tools to get your organization or practice in line with HIPAA in just 10 days. Jim provides you with the basics of HIPAA compliance and identifies the top current compliance issues that should be addressed first to ensure you’re ready for your first – or next – review. You will be provided with ways to cover HIPAA compliance in a format which will focus on the work to be done according to 10 steps or topic areas that will assist the HIPAA privacy or security officer to make progress in compliance and document it effectively.Session Highlight:
- Ensure you have the right policies, procedures and documentation for HIPAA compliance
- Ensure appropriate patient rights and controls on your PHI uses and disclosures
- Perform appropriate analysis of confidentiality, integrity and availability risks of electronic PHI
- Protect your PHI from exposure through accidental acts, including loss of a data holding device, intentional acts, and attacks on health information by hackers
- Understand various HIPAA-defined safeguards
- Identify policies and procedures that must be implemented to protect the privacy and security of PHI