PHI Online And
Are you maintaining confidentiality in sharing your Protected Health Information (PHI) Online/Electronic Resources. If Not You May Be Inviting Increased Penalties For HIPAA Violations.
A recently settled case with a medical group by the HHS Office of Civil Rights warns providers very clearly: both Privacy and Security Rules are now being enforced under HIPAA towards electronic medical information. Particularly when sharing protected health information (PHI) online or saving it to “the cloud”, providers face liability if that medical information is not kept confidential or handled in a secure way. This is even more serious in the light of the greatly increased penalties for HIPAA violations now in effect.
Providers sometimes act as though online or electronic resources and social media are not subject to HIPAA like physical offices or facilities. Further, it is often difficult to police online activities and cloud storage security. However, the recent case makes clear that providers must have similar procedures in place and act just as diligently with PHI in emails, on the Internet, on Facebook or with an online storage companies as they would with their private information on computers.
Join this 60 minute enlightening audio conference where expert Wayne J. Miller, Esq, will discuss the recent settlement and its lessons for health care providers that rely on electronic media to communicate and store protected health information. Wayne will also talk about the best practices for physicians, groups and facilities that want to tighten up their procedures and highlight precautions that should be addressed immediately to lessen potential liability risk.
Among the topics to be covered during the teleconference are:
- Failures that lead to sanctions in the recent HIPAA physician group settlement.
- Security features that email systems must have when using to share PHI.
- Can you use commercial cloud websites for sharing or storing medical information?
- What do you need from vendors or contractors to assure compliance?
- Best practices for providers engaged in social media.
- Steps to take now to shore up privacy and security compliance.
Who should attend? physicians, medical groups, medical group administrators or managers, hospitals, long term care facilities and health care consultants
Order Below or Call 866-458-2965 Today
- Duane Abbey, Ph.D.
- Robert W. Markette, Jr., CHC
- Barbara J. Cobuzzi, MBA, CPC-OTO, CPC-H, CPC-P, CPC-I, CHCC
- Debra Phairas, MBA
- Charlene Ross, MSN, MBA, RN
- Duane Abbey, Ph.D.
About Our Speaker
Wayne J. Miller, Esq., is a founding partner of the Compliance Law Group, Los Angeles, a law firm focused on health care industry legal compliance for clients nationwide. Wayne has practiced healthcare business and regulatory law throughout his 30-year career. His firm represents a wide range of healthcare industry clients throughout the nation. He is a frequent speaker for The Coding Institute national teleconferences on healthcare reimbursement, transactional and regulatory...
More Events By The Speaker
- Save money on travel.
- Meet your specific training needs.
- Keep learning after the event.
- Save time training your whole staff.