HIPAA Audits and Enforcement: New Penalties, New Push for Compliance
Enforcement Of HIPAA Regulations Is Being Stepped Up! Get Prepared For An Audit Now And Prevent Fines And Penalties.
The US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is currently implementing audits to meet requirements in the HITECH Act in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) for performing periodic audits of compliance with the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules, and up to 150 random HIPAA compliance audits will be performed by the end of 2012. While in the past, audits had been performed only at entities that had had a compliant filed against them, the new rule calls for audits whether or not there is a complaint. This means, the HHS Office for Civil Rights (OCR) can show up at your door and ask to perform an audit on short notice, and your organization will need to be ready, or face fines of up to $50,000 per day for each regulatory provision violated.
In this Information packed Audio session our expert speaker Jim Sheldon-Dean will discuss the HIPAA audit and enforcement processes and how they apply to covered entities and business associates. Jim will explain the enforcement regulations and their recent changes that has increased fines and created new penalty levels, including new penalties for willful neglect of compliance. Learn what information and documentation needs to be prepared in advance so that you can be ready for an audit. Explore the results of prior HHS audits (and their penalties) and the sample questions asked at prior audits.
Register now and know if you can become the subject of an audit or enforcement action, and what you can do to help limit your exposure. Know how most enforcement actions come about and what can be done to prevent incidents that lead to enforcement. You’ll get clarity on HIPAA Privacy, Security rules, and Breach Notification regulations (and the recent changes to them) and how they will be audited. Also, documentation requirements for compliance will be explained and a framework of security policies necessary for compliance will be presented for your understanding. Jim will discuss recent actions involving multi-million dollar fines and settlements. and present a plan for attaining compliance.
Additionally, learn about the upcoming trends in information security risks.
Register now and you’ll be bombarded with the information on:
- Fines and penalties for violations of the HIPAA regulations have been significantly increased and now include mandatory fines for willful negligence that begin at $10,000 minimum.
- HIPAA Audits have been few and far between in the past, but that's now changing - the HHS will be auditing HIPAA covered entities and business associates even if there have been no complaints or problems reported.
- What HHS OCR is likely to ask you if you are selected for an audit, and what you'll have to have prepared already when they do.
- The rules are that you need to comply with will be explained. Learn about the policies you can adopt that can help you come into compliance and be prepared for an audit.
- How the HIPAA rules have changed and how you may need to change. How you work to keep up with them.
- How having a good compliance process can help you stay compliant and respond to audits more easily.
- The documentation needed to survive an audit and avoid fines will be described.
- A discussion on what you'll need to think about to deal with current and future threats to the security of patient information.
Who should attend? Compliance Manager, Compliance Officer, Risk Manager, HIPAA Officer, Chief Information Officer, Health Information Manager, Medical Office Manager, Medical Practice Lawyer, CFO, CEO, COO, Privacy Officer, Information Security Officer.
Why use AudioEducator?
- Save money on travel. Our conferences are available from the comfort and convenience of your own office or meeting room.
- Meet your specific training needs. Whether you attend a live event, load up one of our encore broadcasts, or purchase a CD or PDF transcript — you'll get the information you need on your schedule.
- Keep learning after the event. Every conference purchase includes the speaker's materials so you can keep learning long after the conference is over.
- Save time training your whole staff. Gather around a speaker phone or computer and enlighten your entire team for one low price.
- Do you work with a virtual team or multiple locations? Ask our customer specialists about discounts for your whole staff.
Order Below or Call 1-866-458-2965 Today
About Our Speaker
Jim Sheldon-Dean is the founder and director of compliance services at Lewis Creek Systems, LLC, a Vermont-based consulting firm founded in 1982, providing information privacy and security regulatory compliance services to a variety of health care providers, businesses, universities, small and large hospitals, urban and rural mental health and social service agencies, health insurance plans, and health care business associates.
More Events By The Speaker
- Save money on travel.
- Meet your specific training needs.
- Keep learning after the event.
- Save time training your whole staff.