HIPAA Audits & Enforcement: New Regulations, Penalties & FAQs about the New Push for Compliance
Enforcement Of HIPAA Regulations Is Being Stepped Up, And New Fines And Penalties Make Being Ready For An Audit In Advance, critical!!.
Even smaller physician groups have wound up in the enforcers’ crosshairs, with net settlements for hundreds of thousands of dollars. The Health and Human Services (HHS) is currently implementing audits to meet requirements in the HITECH Act in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) for performing periodic audits of compliance with the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules, and up to 150 random HIPAA compliance audits will be performed by the end of 2012.
In addition, new audit and enforcement activity is taking place related to the new HIPAA Breach Notification Rule – when a breach is reported, HHS inspectors can investigate to determine if a penalty is warranted. This means that the HHS Office for Civil Rights (OCR) can show up at your door and ask to perform an audit on short notice, and your organization will need to be ready, or face fines of up to $50,000 per day for each regulatory provision violated.
In this audio conference, our expert Jim Sheldon-Dean, will discuss the HIPAA audit and enforcement processes and how they apply to covered entities and business associates. He'll explain the enforcement regulations and their recent changes that increase fines and create new penalty levels, including new penalties for willful neglect of compliance. Also he'll discuss what information and documentation needs to be prepared in advance so that you can be ready for an audit without notice. Sample questions asked at prior audits will be presented.
Join now for this enlightening event and you'll learn how to know if you may become the subject of an audit or enforcement action, and what you can do to help limit your exposure. Jim will discuss how most enforcement actions come about and what can be done to prevent incidents that lead to enforcement. Know about the results of prior HHS audits (and their penalties), including recent actions involving multi-million dollar fines and settlements.
Take A Look At What's Included:
- Fines and penalties for violations of the HIPAA regulations have been significantly increased and now include mandatory fines for willful negligence that begin at $10,000 minimum.
- HIPAA Audits have been few and far between in the past, but that's changed- the HHS is auditing HIPAA covered entities and business associates even if there have been no complaints or problems reported.
- What HHS OCR is likely to ask you if you are selected for an audit, and what you'll have to have prepared already when they do.
- The rules are that you need to comply with will be explained and we will describe the policies you can adopt that can help you come into compliance and be prepared for an audit.
- The documentation needed to survive an audit and avoid fines will be described.
- We will discuss what you'll need to think about to deal with current and future threats to the security of patient information.
- Steps to follow to prepare for an audit and respond to an audit request will be outlined.
Who should attend? Compliance Manager, Compliance Officer, Risk Manager, HIPAA Officer, Chief Information Officer, Health Information Manager, Medical Office Manager, Medical Practice Lawyer, CFO, CEO, COO, Privacy Officer, Information Security Officer
Order Below Or Call 866-458-2965 Today
- Barbara J. Cobuzzi, MBA, CPC-OTO, CPC-H, CPC-P, CPC-I, CHCC
- John E. Steiner, Jr., Esq., CHC
- Wayne J. Miller, Esq.
- Angela Bazigos ,
- Susan Ulrey,
- Wayne J. Miller, Esq.
About Our Speaker
Jim Sheldon-Dean is the founder and director of compliance services at Lewis Creek Systems, LLC, a Vermont-based consulting firm founded in 1982, providing information privacy and security regulatory compliance services to a variety of health care providers, businesses, universities, small and large hospitals, urban and rural mental health and social service agencies, health insurance plans, and health care business associates.
Sheldon-Dean serves on the HIMSS Information Systems Security... More Info
More Events By The Speaker
- Save money on travel.
- Meet your specific training needs.
- Keep learning after the event.
- Save time training your whole staff.